How to Prevent Cold and Cough in Babies and Cure it
Your baby is your bundle of sunshine! Nothing should possibly go wrong with him. But no matter how careful you are, sometimes it become difficult for you to protect your baby from common problems and sicknesses. Yes, it is understandable dear Mom. They are very vulnerable at this phase of early days of their birth. They need constant care and protection around the clock. The most depressing thing to see is a baby falling sick. You feel helpless and cannot do anything much immediately to lessen the discomfort of your little one. Therefore, I believe, it is always wise to be alert beforehand, and take appropriate preventive measures, rather than go through the depressing phase of treatment. I do have some solutions up my sleeves regarding how to prevent cold and cough in babies and I would love to share them with you.
How to Prevent Cold and Cough in Babies – Basic Precautions
Wash Your Hands First
Yes, this is absolutely important to protect your baby from any type of infection. Your hands contain millions of germs that can cause nasal infection and irritation in throat, if you are handling your child or feeding your baby without washing your hands.
Never Sneeze Without Your Mouth Covered
This is one of the vital reasons why your baby catches the cold. When you sneeze near your baby without covering your mouth, the bacteria and the germs travel at a very fast speed in the air and as the baby inhales the air, he/she catches the infection instantly.
Cover Your Baby with Warm Clothes
It is important to maintain the temperature in your room. The babies are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations. Do not expose your baby to sudden temperature fluctuations indoor as well as outdoor. Make sure you wrap your baby really well in a warm and soft baby blanket. Make sure the blanket is covering the throat and the ears of your baby well. This way he should feel snug and comfortable. This will protect your baby from catching a cold as well.
Do Not Kiss Your Baby When You Are Sick
You have your whole life to love and cuddle your baby. If you are sick or suffering from any infections, please do not kiss your baby. You are directly transmitting your infections over to your baby. Save your love till you are fit and fine.
Do Not Feed Cold Food
Do not feed your baby foods directly from the refrigerator. Always make sure the food and the milk you are feeding should be mildly warm and absolutely freshly prepared.
Natural Home Remedies to Cure Cold and Cough in Babies
But when your little one is already infected with cold and sore throats you and help him soothe through natural Home remedies for cold and cough in babies.
1.The Breast Milk
- If your baby is below six months, then breast milk is the best prevention for your baby from all kinds of infections.
- The anti-bodies present in the mother’s milk are the strongest prevention.
- It helps to build a strong immune system in your baby to fight of the infections.
- It also provides the adequate hydration to your baby as well.
2. Home Made Saline Drops
- First you need to make sure all your utensils and equipment are sterilized.
- You will need a sterilized spoon and a steel bowl.
- Take 8 tsp spoon of boiled and cooled water and mix ½ tsp fine grained salt.
- Mix till it dissolves well.
- Keep the salt solution mildly warm when are using it.
- Administer 1-2 drops in each nostril of your baby, one at time.
- Keep a gap of 2-3 minutes before you use the salt solution in the other nostril.
- This is a very effective treatment in case of cold and cough in babies.
3. The Right Posture for Sleep
- When your baby sleeps, make sure you keep his head elevated from the bed.
- This posture helps the nasal chamber to remain clear of congestion.
4. A Steam, a Warm Shower and an Herbal Scent
- This treatment of warm shower can help your baby get relieved instantly.
- Warm showers acts as soothers and the steam helps to decongest the nasal blockage.
- You can separately steam and vaporize your room.
- This vapour will help your baby breath easily and relieve nasal congestion.
- You can also add few drops of Nilgiri Oil on a cotton ball, and leave it where your baby sleeps.
- This is a very effective herbal medicine for cough and cold for babies.
- This is very effective as well, for de congesting your baby’s nasal block.
5. The Garlic and Carom Seed Effect
- This is an age old herbal medicine for cough and cold for babies.
- Take 2 big cloves of garlic and 1 tsp of carom seed or ajwain and roast it well on a flat pan.
- Take these off the pan and put them together in a soft muslin cloth and tie it up in a bundle.
- Place this bundle of cloth on the corner of your baby’s cot.
- The mild smoke and the smell will be extremely helpful to open congested nasal blockage in your baby.
- This is one of the best natural remedies for cold and cough in babies
6. For A Little Older Babies ( 6 months – 1 year)
These treatments are effective especially for the toddlers.
- In a glass of warm water, mix 1 tsp of lemon and 1 tbsp of honey. Mix it well and give it tsp your child.
- You can put a little amount of raw, turmeric paste in a glass of warm milk and give to your child. It is very effective for cold and sore throat.
- Prepare a light tea with few slices of ginger and few leaves of tulsi or basil.
- Brew it well and strain the tea. This will sure to cure your child’s nasal block.
These are some of the best ways how to prevent cold and cough in babies and how to cure it. I am sure you will find them useful.